The Abide team does a group devotional focused on Abide's weekly theme. We read verses, listen to meditations, and reflect on how God is speaking to us. We're publishing these devotionals so you can use them as a resource for a Bible study or in your own quiet time. Enjoy!
TOPIC: From Anger to Joy
“Do not say, ‘I cannot help having a bad temper.’ Friend, you must help it. Pray to God to help you overcome it at once, for either you must kill it, or it will kill you. You cannot carry a bad temper into heaven.” - Charles Spurgeon
“To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.” - CS Lewis
Read and listen for prepositions and transformational words. Words that describe our response to anger from believers and those outside the church...
If you're in a group, take turns reading the week's Bible verses. Read the scriptures here
As time permits, listen to the meditations. Everybody can listen to a separate meditation or you can listen collectively as a group. The meditations for the different days are linked below, and the shortest version is 2 minutes long.
- Return to God's Loving Arms - Nehemiah 9:17
- Leave anger to God - Romans 12:19
- Receiving Kind Correction - Psalm 141:5
- Leave Bitterness, Grow Kindness - Ephesians 4:31-32
- Slow Down Anger - James 1:19-20
- Comfort from Close Friends - Hebrews 10:25
- Love Your Enemies - Luke 6:35-37
- Imagine someone you are angry with. Why? What do you want of them? What would be the state of your soul if God saw you that same way?
- “The only way we’ll last forever is broken together.” What might that look like within your community?
Share your answers in the comments below.